Sunday, May 01, 2011

Well, that was a nice weekend. Good weather, some interesting things, lots of time to relax and refocus for next week. We were in town both days, and we did things ranging from reading a hunting magazine picked up at a trade show, to a newly formed weekly Sunday afternoon visit to Baked Cafe on Main St. Last Sunday's treat was an oatmeal date square for me, and today I went for a spelt raspberry pecan scone. I can't wait to live somewhere with a working oven! I also started the first steps of a 10km running program, and we had a pretty nice Vietnamese pho dinner on Friday night.



We visited the Arts Underground gallery on Saturday afternoon, and checked out this exhibit:

This guy took photos of the exhibit and posted them on his website:
http://normhamilton.ca/blog/lyn-fabio-verdant-veerings/

We also came across the work of another fibre artist, Mary Beattie. I tried to find some examples of her work online, but no luck so far. She makes incredible large and small scale images out of felted fibres- they look like paintings but are made from fibres that she collects from animals harvested from her trapline somewhere around here. I have a little dream to meet her and maybe learn about her art. Here is something I have been working on, from a kit that Krista and Dylan gave me:


There's something in the air (and on the ground, and in the water, and in the sky...!) here that makes me want to express my creative side more, so I've been looking around in my brain to figure out which direction to head. Although a home-made sushi dinner tonight reminded me that creativity in the setting of the kitchen is always a win-win situation :)

And now for the story that has been distracting me since Thursday night! We were at the paddling film festival (which was pretty fun), and had the happy experience of running into some nice people that we met in Mt Lorne, a couple from Quebec who have a dog sled team here. After a bit of chatting, they mentioned that they are looking for a home for one of the their favourite sled dogs, because he hurt his paw last season and can't run with the team because of a limp. They said he'd make a great pet and skijoring partner, and follows people around like a shadow... and we should come by and meet him! He's named after a river in Quebec that neither Colin or I can pronounce, but that's just a small issue :) I'm trying not to get too excited about the possibility of a new family member, but I did go to the library and check out some books with info on canine rehabilitation!

Happy May,
From Lauren (and Colin)

No comments:

Post a Comment