Monday, June 13, 2011

Mt Lorne and further down the scenic route

Hello all,

Here we are again, the Monday after a fantastic weekend. Although every day feels special here, it's nice to have the time to explore together. We took these photos at our place in Mt Lorne on Friday afternoon, and over the weekend as we hiked through some local hinterland and drove a loop around some other communities:

From inside the mosquito-proof workroom, cleaning some spruce tips



My bike's in there because it came with a combination lock attached to it when I got it at the auction, and I was going to try every combo until it opened...

Great view of the dog (one day)

The other wall

Pickled spruce tips- apparently a tasty garnish for vodka martinis

The Yukon sister of my Ontario flower!

A friendly neighbour in Robinson

and his pal, who came out to the street to meet us on our hike

We went for a walk on Saturday afternoon, through the forest around Robinson subdivision

Tiny little colours are everywhere

Neato shapes

Not sure what this thing growing in the spruce tree is

Practicing our mountain climbing for the real Mt Lorne- this is just a foothill!
Some treasures at the end of an uphill climb...

Views from the foothills of Mt Lorne- these are part of the Gray Mtn Range

I'm not sure what these mountains are called, but they're the ones I smile at when I see them in my rearview mirror on my morning commute :)



The foresty bit in the middle is our hamlet!

I forget why we took this photo, but it's nice to look at

Afternoon showers over the hamlet

Ahhh
The start of our Sunday Drive, Emerald Lake. We drove around the loop between our place, Carcross, Tagish and Marsh Lake, leaning about the communities' Free Stores at their local dump. Our community is looking to improve our dump, and is renaming it the Transformation Station! 

New friends at the Carcross Caribou Crossing (we checked it out because they have a big sign on the highway- "HUSKY PUPPIES")
Oh yeah

Oh no, oh no, the puppies are asleep!

Oh boy

King Lean of the Leaning Huskies

Trying to distract myself until the puppies wake up

Someone else woke them up for me, and then I was all over them! And they were teething on my thumb!

Carcross is very hilly

Roadside bakeries are rare here, and have great lake views. We felt it was our duty to stop

Mmm, excellent cinnamon buns and date squares

Motoring across the Tagish Bridge

Tagish Free Store
The 12.30 light

I took this photo as I left for work this morning... it was hard to leave

our place is looking more lived in now feeling more like home, although some times it feels like a vacation house we have rented to a few weeks.


Tomorrow we're helping someone from the Market move their greenhouse- a group of us are going to lift and carry it! We are also hoping to visit the baby mountain goats at the Yukon Wildlife Preserve.

Bye for now,
Lauren and Colin

3 comments:

  1. We think you're genetically wired to figure out that combination lock in record time. Go for it! Great photos! As good as being there. You're obviously loving every minute of your "excellent adventure". We're still loving the NT blog with morning coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Colin
    Just had to write this comment. Love the home front....only the bear necessities I see! I just knew you were the friendly type...does the bear have a name yet?

    LOL John & Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been calling him Brownie, but there is a debate about whether it is right to give pet names for wild animals. I think it is endearing name for something that could grow up to be twice my size and much much stronger.

    Colin

    ReplyDelete